Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Page 105 of Baron of the Coast

My story about the early life of a post WWIII pirate king is really coming along.  I started on it last week and already it is half done.  Yes, it is a Cruel New World book, set in that universe but it is 10 or 15 years after the height of the war.  I'm giving everybody a break from Mitch and Wade for a while even though I think I'll turn this book over to another editor and see if I can't get it out ahead of the second CNW book.  The second CNW book is well over 500 pages long and there is no way it will be through the editing process anytime soon, I imagine. 

This book flows differently than the others and is written in first person.  Unlike the first CNW book, this one isn't loosely based on anyone I know.  But this book can stand on it's own more easily too.  You don't have to know what the first CNW book was about to get what is going on in Baron of the Coast.  The second CNW book (not yet titled) is fairly dependant on the reader at least having an idea about what happened in the first one.  But I feel like enough people read the first CNW book to know what to expect for a part 2.  I might add a little more background to it when the time comes, who knows?

Baron of the Coast is about a lot of things besides just a rising pirate king.  It is about the illusion of freedom and the frailty of material wealth inside a blossoming police state.  It is about how someone works hard to define himself rather than let those who dislike them do it for him.  The book is also about leadership: what happens when you have too much and not enough.  The book is a lot more action packed  CNW and packs more of a punch page for page. 

And you can always expect my books to be relatively crammed full of after-the-bomb knowledge I'm collected in my head over the years, as well as field craft I've learned or had the luxury of being taught. 

As far as politics go, there is some in this book but not nearly like what you'll see when the second CNW comes out.  I might post exerts from both books on this blog as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment